New Montauk Substation
At PSEG Long Island, it is our mission to provide safe, reliable and resilient energy for all the communities we serve.
The Montauk area is currently served by several substations, one of which has reached the end of its useful life. The construction of a new substation on Second House Road and the reconfiguring of distribution circuits will directly benefit the local community by significantly increasing reliability and power quality. This work will reduce the risk of prolonged service disruptions, especially during heat waves and storms like Superstorm Sandy.
- PSEG Long Island will construct a new substation on Second House Road between the LIRR tracks and Industrial Road in Montauk.
- Underground distribution and transmission lines will be reconfigured in the vicinity to serve the new substation.
- Overhead lines in the area will be upgraded.
- The current Montauk substation will be decommissioned, the equipment removed, and the property made available for public use.
For the latest information regarding project work, please visit the MyPower Map.
Public workshop to present substation siting issues and options, and to receive community and public comments. PSEG Long Island leadership, engineers, project managers, environmental specialists, and media/external affairs representatives
- When: Tuesday, April 2, 2019 - 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Where: Montauk Playhouse Community Center, 240 Edgemere Street, Montauk
- Download: Presentation
- Public Comments: The 30-day comment period for this project has ended.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the timeline for the project?
- Construction at the substation site will begin the week of January 6th with the installation of fencing, clearing, grading, and foundation work.
- Installation of substation equipment will immediately follow. Construction is expected to be completed by December 2020.
- Installation of underground distribution feeders on Second House Road and Industrial Road will begin in January and will take approximately 12-18 months.
- No distribution work will occur between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
What are the work hours?
Crews will work daily, Monday through Saturday from approximately 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Will the project include new poles or pole replacements?
No new poles will be installed as part of this project. However, if a pole is found to be deficient, it may be replaced with a new pole of similar size that meets current standards.
Will the project include tree trimming?
There will be no tree trimming associated with this work.
Will there be any traffic interruptions?
PSEG Long Island does not anticipate traffic interruptions. However, we will provide cones, flagmen and signage at the work sites, as needed.
Will there be any power outages?
PSEG Long Island does not anticipate any power outages associated with this project. If the need for a planned outage arises, we will notify customers in advance.
Do you have permission to do this work?
PSEG Long Island has secured all necessary approvals to perform this work.
Whom can I contact for more information?
Customers with questions about the project can contact PSEG Long Island Customer Service at 1-800-490-0025 between 8am and 8pm, Monday to Friday.
Posted Date: December 20, 2019