Upgrade or Change Service

To Upgrade or Change Your Electrical Service

Follow these steps to upgrade your service or to request a change from overhead to underground service.

You can start your request at any time. If you need to pause to gather information you have 13 days to resume the request, or you will need to start over again. You will save as a Draft and an e-mail is sent to the e-mail address entered. The Draft e-mail will have a draft number in the body of the e-mail, copy and paste that number into the resume request site when asked, then provide the last name as it is displayed and your request will resume where you left off.

If you'd like to change / upgrade your electric service, complete the following steps.

Required Documentation

  • A digital copy of your electrical inspection certificate. This document is required for ALL new services and/or service changes. Note: If your service location is in the Rockaway Peninsula, you will need a New York City Permit.
  • For services of 300 amps or less, complete the necessary fields in the online submittal, the assistance of your electrician may be necessary.
  • For service sizes of 400 amps or more, and all commercial services, provide a digital load letter that has been completed by your electrician. This will identify the load and rate of the service at your location.
  • For specifications, consult our Red Book.

Based on the load and the specifications of your installation, a payment and/or deposit may be required.

IMPORTANT: When you are completing your online request specify whether you or your electrician should receive the invoice, and include a mailing address. Submit your online request with the necessary attachments. Requests are typically completed within three to five weeks from the time all documentation is received, weather permitting.