PSEG Long Island Storm Update — Monday, Jan. 17, 2022, 7 a.m.
Winter storm Izzy brought a mix of snow, rain and very strong winds across Long Island and the Rockaways, toppling branches, limbs and wires. The storm is expected to move beyond the service area later this afternoon.
- PSEG Long Island is reporting 1,885 of its approximately 1.1 million customers are currently without service.
- As of 7 a.m., PSEG Long Island has restored power to more than 8,700 customers since midnight.
- Crews worked through the night and will continue to work today to restore outages safely and as quickly as conditions allow.
- More than 800 line workers, tree trimmers, surveyors and other utility personnel are dedicated to the restoration effort.
- PSEG Long Island reminds customers that field crews are unable to work in bucket trucks to make repairs in high wind conditions.
- PSEG Long Island recognizes that being without power for any length of time is a hardship and appreciates its customers’ patience and understanding as crews work to restore electric service.
- Downed wires should always be considered “live.” Please stay away from them, and do not drive over or stand near them. It is best to maintain a distance of at least 30 feet from a downed power line. To report a downed wire, call 911.
- Electric current passes easily through water. If you encounter a pool of slush or standing water, stop, back up and choose another path. And remember, downed lines are not easy to see in snow.
- Never use a generator, pressure washer or any gasoline-powered engine inside your home, basement or garage, or less than 20 feet from any window, door or vent. Use an extension cord that is more than 20 feet long to keep the generator at a safe distance.
- PSEG Long Island’s COVID-19-related storm processes that follow public health guidelines and industry best practices remain in place. We thank our customers for their patience as we operate under these unusual circumstances to safely restore power as quickly as possible.
- Download the PSEG Long Island mobile app to report outages and receive information on restoration times, crew locations and more.
- Report an outage and receive status updates by texting OUT to PSEGLI (773454). You can also report your outage through our app, our website at www.psegliny.com/outages or with your voice using the Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant app on your smartphone.
- To report an outage or downed wire, call PSEG Long Island’s 24-hour Electric Service number at 800-490-0075, or use our web chat feature at www.psegliny.com.
- Follow PSEG Long Island on Facebook and Twitter to report an outage and for updates before, during and after the storm.
- Visit PSEG Long Island’s MyPower map for the latest in outage info, restoration times and crew locations across Long Island and the Rockaways at https://mypowermap.psegliny.com/.