PSEG Long Island Is Ready for the Impending Weather
(Uniondale, NY – April 19, 2019) — PSEG Long Island is prepared for the rain and strong winds forecasted to hit Long Island tonight and into the weekend. All of the utility’s employees and contractors are ready to respond to any electrical outages the expected weather might cause.
Showers, thunderstorms and gusty winds will be likely this afternoon and through Saturday. Wind gusts up to 30-40 mph will be likely with peak gusts to 40-50 mph possible.
“This storm has the potential to cause tree limbs to break and pull down wires,” said John O’Connell, vice president of Transmission & Distribution at PSEG Long Island. “We are closely monitoring the weather. Our crews are ready to once again respond as quickly and safely as possible to any service interruptions experienced by our customers.”
PSEG Long Island has made significant investments to make the electric system more resilient to the effects of extreme weather conditions. From storm hardening upgrades to ongoing enhanced tree maintenance, proactive work allows the system to better withstand extreme weather.
Be prepared and stay safe during extreme weather:
- To report and receive status updates on an outage Text OUT to PSEGLI (773454) or, to report an outage online, visit www.psegliny.com
- Follow PSEG Long Island on Facebook and Twitter to report an outage and to get updates before, during and after the storm.
- Downed wires should always be considered “live.” Do not approach or drive over a downed line, and do not touch anything contacting the wire. To report a downed wire call PSEG Long Island’s 24-hour Electric Service number: 1-800-490-0075.
- Visit PSEG Long Island’s outage map to view outage information across Long Island and the Rockaways at www.psegliny.com/outages .
- Make sure everyone in the family is prepared and knows what to do if there is an emergency. Visit https://www.psegliny.com/safetyandreliability/stormsafety to learn about safety tips from Sesame Street, YouTube safety videos and more.
# # #
PSEG Long Island
PSEG Long Island operates the Long Island Power Authority’s transmission and distribution system under a long-term contract. PSEG Long Island is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Inc. (PSEG) (NYSE:PEG), a publicly traded diversified energy company.