PSEG Long Island Storm Update — Sunday, Aug. 13, 2023, 10:30 a.m.
Strong thunderstorms brought heavy winds, lightning and rain starting around 2 a.m. Sunday, causing scattered power outages throughout PSEG Long Island’s service territory.
- The hardest hit areas include East Patchogue, Massapequa and Mastic.
- PSEG Long Island is reporting 5,209 of its approximately 1.1 million customers are currently without service.
- As of 10 a.m., PSEG Long Island has restored power to more than 14,000 customers since 12:01 a.m. today.
- We expect to have the vast majority of customers restored today.
- Crews have been working throughout the morning and will continue to work safely and as quickly as possible until all outages are restored.
- PSEG Long Island recognizes that being without power for any length of time is a hardship and appreciates customers’ patience and understanding as crews work to restore electric service.
- Downed wires should always be considered “live.” Stay at least 30 feet away from downed power lines. Immediately call PSEG Long Island’s 24-hour Electric Service at 800-490-0075, use the web chat feature at www.psegliny.com or call 911 to report a downed wire.
- Electric current passes easily through water, so stay away from downed power lines and electrical wires, especially near water. Do not drive over – and do not stand near – downed power lines.
- Downed lines are difficult to see in bad weather or standing water. If you encounter large pools of standing water while driving, stop, back up and choose another path.
- To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, do not run a gasoline-powered generator in a garage or other enclosed space.
- PSEG Long Island has provided storm preparation tips at https://www.psegliny.com/safetyandreliability/stormsafety.
- Download the PSEG Long Island mobile app to report outages and receive information on restoration times, crew locations and more.
- Report an outage and receive status updates by texting OUT to PSEGLI (773454). You can also report an outage through PSEG Long Island’s app or website at www.psegliny.com/outages or by using the Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant[i] app on a smartphone.
- To report an outage or downed wire call PSEG Long Island’s 24-hour Electric Service number, 800-490-0075, or call 911.
- Follow PSEG Long Island on Facebook to report an outage through direct message and for updates before, during and after a storm.
- Visit PSEG Long Island’s MyPower map for the latest outage information, restoration times and crew locations across Long Island and the Rockaways at https://mypowermap.psegliny.com/.