Circuit Reliability Upgrades Begin in Babylon, West Babylon
(UNIONDALE, N.Y. – Feb. 7, 2023) PSEG Long Island is improving the reliability of the energy grid in Babylon and West Babylon. The storm hardening work on this distribution circuit is part of many system improvements included in the “Power On” program.
“PSEG Long Island is strengthening the electric lines that directly power homes and businesses because we know that electric reliability is more important than ever to our customers,” said Peggy Keane, PSEG Long Island’s vice president of Construction and Operations Services. “This Power On infrastructure improvement project in Babylon and West Babylon is part of our ongoing, multi-year effort to continue to improve electric reliability for our customers.”
The work began in early January and will last for approximately four months. PSEG Long Island’s licensed and approved contractors will work along mainline distribution lines in Babylon and West Babylon. To ensure traffic moves safely, PSEG Long Island will provide cones, flaggers and signage at the worksites, as needed. Local officials also will be notified in advance regarding any potential traffic concerns.
The storm-hardening improvements include:
- Stronger poles: PSEG Long Island will replace some existing utility poles with stronger, more durable poles that are capable of withstanding winds up to 135 mph. The new poles will be approximately the same height as the existing poles, have a stronger base and will be placed no more than 5 feet from the current pole locations. PSEG Long Island will actively coordinate the removal of old poles with other utilities and municipalities.
- Narrow profiles: To help wires deflect falling limbs instead of catching them, PSEG Long Island will be installing shorter cross arms atop some poles.
- Stronger wire: Current wire will be replaced with more resilient and durable wire.
- Upgrading: PSEG Long Island will upgrade or replace worn equipment as necessary.
Crews will be working on the following streets in Babylon and West Babylon:
- Trolley Line Road (Railroad Avenue) between Beachwood Drive and Carll Avenue
- Litchfield Avenue between Little E Neck Road and Trolley Line Road (Railroad Avenue)
- Little E Neck Road between Trolley Line road (Railroad Avenue) and Montauk Highway
- Montauk Highway (West Main Street) between Mc Cue Lane and Thompson Avenue
- Thompson Avenue between Montauk Highway and Reid Avenue
- Cedar Lane between Reid Avenue and Fire Island Avenue
PSEG Long Island prepares year-round for extreme weather to maintain reliable service for its 1.1 million customers. Since 2014, the company has made significant investments in strengthening the electric infrastructure. Using funding from both FEMA and LIPA, PSEG Long Island has completed storm hardening and reliability work on more than 1,000 miles of distribution mainline circuits.
Power On, a five-year program that started in the spring of 2020, continues the work now that the FEMA program has concluded. Since the launch of Power On, more than 256 miles of the most vulnerable distribution mainline circuits on Long Island and in the Rockaways have been storm hardened with stronger poles, thicker wire and other modern equipment.
These investments have strengthened the system so that fewer customers experience outages and, when they do occur, the duration is shorter, especially during extreme weather. In 2022, the sections of circuits that are storm hardened saw a 48.5% reduction in damage leading to outages compared to the rest of the distribution system.
Power On focuses on mainline circuits, the backbone of PSEG Long Island’s distribution system. The main lines feed the many branch lines that power the homes and businesses in individual communities.
For more project details, visit t https://www.psegliny.com/inthecommunity/currentinitiatives/stormhardeningprojects.
# # #
PSEG Long Island
PSEG Long Island operates the Long Island Power Authority’s transmission and distribution system under a long-term contract. PSEG Long Island is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Inc. (PSEG) (NYSE:PEG), a publicly traded diversified energy company.