Terms & Conditions
PSEG Long Island Skill on Amazon’s Alexa Service
This Agreement is between you and Long Island Electric Servco LLC (“PSEG Long Island”) as agent and acting on behalf of Long Island Lighting Company d/b/a LIPA (“LIPA”), having offices at 333 Earle Ovington Blvd., Uniondale, NY 11553 (together, with its parent and affiliates, "PSEG Long Island" or “us” or “we”) and governs your use of the PSEG Long Island Skill on Amazon’s Alexa service on any Alexa-enabled device (the “Skill”). The Agreement applies in addition to, and is not intended to replace, any other agreement that may apply in connection with your accounts for services you receive from PSEG Long Island ("Account(s)").
Your use of the Skill is conditioned on your acceptance of this Agreement. If you don’t accept these terms, you may not use the Skill.
- Privacy and Security: The Skill allows you to use your Alexa-enabled device to communicate with PSEG Long Island, by voice, regarding your Account(s). Your voice is only used to activate Alexa’s features and is not used to authenticate the account. To use the Skill, you will have to speak commands and questions aloud to Amazon’s Alexa service (“Alexa”), and you will receive responses aloud. Any communication to PSEG Long Island via Alexa will be treated by PSEG Long Island as a communication authorized by you, and any communication from PSEG Long Island via Alexa in response to a request received from your Alexa-enabled device will be treated by PSEG Long Island as a communication to you. In other words, you are responsible for all of the interactions with PSEG Long Island via the Skill. For example, it is possible that someone other than you could interact with PSEG Long Island via the Skill, or that someone could overhear you interacting with PSEG Long Island via the Skill and learn information about your Account(s). (Try using your “inside voice.”) It is also possible that Alexa (and the equipment Alexa is installed on) and/or Amazon will record your interactions with the Skill or with Alexa. Consult your agreements with Amazon to learn more about how Amazon and your Alexa-enabled device treat those interactions.
- Release of Your Information to Amazon: By installing the Skill, you are authorizing PSEG to perform the actions and/or share with Amazon the information you communicate to PSEG (such as voice commands), or which PSEG may request from you. The interactions you have with the Skill take place through Amazon. For example, if you ask Alexa for any information pertaining to your Account, PSEG transmits the relevant information through Amazon. Therefore, you hereby authorize PSEG to share that information with Amazon in response to your interactions with the Skill.
- ACH Debit Authorization: One of the things you may be able to do on the Skill is pay your PSEG Long Island Account balance. You will be given choices about how much to pay (e.g., total amount due or partial payment) and what bank account to use to make your payment. By using the Skill on your Alexa-enabled device, you authorize PSEG Long Island to initiate payments in amounts up to your Account balance. The payment(s) will be initiated on the date(s) you direct Alexa to do so (“Payment Date”), but when you pay using ACH Debit, the timing of the withdrawal from your pay-from account (i.e., the checking or savings account that you use to pay down the bill) will be based on the pay-from account’s processing schedule. In other words, if you pay your PSEG Long Island bill from your Bank X checking account, we’ll start the process when you ask us to (and it usually takes less than two days), but we can’t promise how long it will take overall because it depends on the timing of Bank X debiting your account and sending it to us.
- Third-Party Security Settings: Once you set up your Alexa device with the Skill, you are authorizing PSEG Long Island to provide information to the device based on the device’s security settings. For example, the settings on your device may allow the device to retrieve information about your Account(s) based on only verbal requests from anyone who uses your device, or to save information about your Account(s) for easier access. By enabling the Skill on your Alexa-enabled device, you are responsible for how the Skill is used (including any communication to or from PSEG Long Island from your device).
- Accuracy: We didn’t design or manufacture Alexa or your Alexa-enabled device. The device also runs other software (e.g., Alexa and other third-party apps) that we did not write or design and do not have control over. It’s possible that Alexa will not hear you correctly, will incorrectly translate what you said, or even say something to you different than the information we provided to Alexa. By accepting this Agreement, you understand and agree that PSEG Long Island and LIPA are not responsible for inaccuracies in your interactions with PSEG Long Island via the Skill. If you have any issues or doubts about the accuracy of your interactions with PSEG Long Island via the Skill, you can still get your Account details by logging on to your Account(s) on our website at www.psegliny.com).
- Bugs: As with any application, it’s possible that there will be bugs. In addition to the possibility of Alexa mishearing you or misquoting us, there’s also a possibility that something might not work correctly, or might not work at all. By using the Skill, you’re accepting that risk. Again, you do not need the Skill to access your Account(s). All of the information available from PSEG Long Island via the Skill is also available on our website (see “Accuracy” section, above). Don’t rely on the Skill as your sole means of accessing your Account(s).
- Electronic Records and Signatures: By accepting these terms, you consent to the general use of electronic records and signatures in our relationship with you.
- Hardware and Other Requirements: To access PSEG Long Island via the Skill, you must (1) have an active residential Account that is in good standing, (2) be enrolled in PSEG Long Island’s My Account, (3) be 18 years of age or older and a legal resident of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia, and (4) have an Alexa-enabled device, an internet connection, and an Amazon account. You cannot use the Skill otherwise.
- Contacting You: We may seek your constructive feedback on the Skill, including problems you encounter, aspects that work well, and suggestions for improving it. You agree that PSEG Long Island may email you from time to time about your experience with the Skill.
- Changes or Amendments: We may change, suspend, or discontinue the Skill, or any part of it, at any time without notice. We may amend any of this Agreement's terms at our sole discretion by posting the revised terms on our website at Alexa Terms and Conditions. Your continued use of the Skill after the effective date of the revised Agreement constitutes acceptance of the terms.
- Termination: Your rights under this Agreement will automatically terminate without notice if you fail to comply with any of its terms. In case of such termination, we may immediately revoke your access to the Skill.
- Tech Support: PSEG Long Island may or may not provide technical and other support for the Skill. You agree to abide by any support rules and policies. If such support is provided, it will be provided in addition to any normal support for your Account(s) and will be available exclusively through the pilot while you are a participant.
- Disclaimer of Warranty: YOU ASSUME ALL RISK FOR YOUR USE OF THE SKILL, THAT IT IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, AND THAT PSEG LONG ISLAND MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. PSEG LONG ISLAND EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM PSEG LONG ISLAND, OR THROUGH OR FROM THE SKILL, WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Governing Law; Jurisdiction; Venue: This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York without regard to any portion of its choice of law principles that might provide for application of a different jurisdiction's law; provided, however, that to the maximum extent permitted under applicable laws, this Agreement will not be subject to the Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act as currently enacted or as may be codified or amended from time to time by any jurisdiction. You irrevocably and unconditionally submit to the jurisdiction and venue of the United States District Courts for the Eastern District of New York, or if such court does not have subject matter jurisdiction, to the courts of the State of New York located in Nassau County.
- Trademark Information: PSEG Long Island trademarks and graphics used in connection with the Skill are the property of PSEG Long Island. All other trademarks and graphics used are the property of their respective owners.