Contact Us
Report an Outage
Pay Bill

Non Residential Application FAQ

  • Are all sections of the application required?
    To ensure account billing accuracy, each section needs to be completed in its entirety.
  • I am a county registered business owner; can the account be put in my business name?
    Accounts for businesses that are not incorporated should be put in a personal name followed by the DBA name.
  • I am incorporated out of state; can I put the account in my corporation’s name?
    All out of state corporations must file with NYS in order to operate within the state. Corporations are subject to verification of status in the NYS Corporation and Business Entity database. Your business’ entry in this database can be viewed at: Window
  • What Tax ID Number should I put on the application?
    For accounts in a personal name, the Social Security number is used. For corporations the EIN# is used.
  • What do I need if I am Tax Exempt?
    The Tax Exempt from ST-119.1(not for profit), ST-121(manufacturers) and TP-382(apartment complex house meters) should be submitted with the application. Municipal entities must submit documentation of tax exemption from NYS. If the proper form is not submitted, the account must be charged sales tax.
  • Am I required to pay a deposit?
    All non-residential customers are required to pay a deposit. Deposits of $1,000 or more must be paid in cash, bank check or money order. Personal or business checks are acceptable for deposits under $1,000.
  • How do I find out my deposit amount?
  • When is my deposit refunded?
    Your deposit will be refunded after 36 months, only if all PSEGLI bills are paid on time and after a credit review of your business has been conducted by our Credit Department. Accrued interest, as determined by the New York Dept. of Public Service, will be applied yearly. We will also refund deposits with accrued interest whenever an account is closed.
  • Who can sign the application?
    • First Time New Applicants: The application must be signed and notarized by an officer of the corporation or authorized designee. When applying in person, a government issued Photo ID is accepted in lieu of notarization.
    • Existing Applicants/Corporations: Existing customers with active accounts applying for a new account in the same, active account name do not need the application notarized.
    • Municipality Authorized Designees: School Districts: Superintendent or Deputy Superintendent for Business
    • Villages: The Mayor or Village Clerk
    • Townships: Town Supervisor or Town Clerk
    • County Governments: Commissioner or above, County Clerk or County Attorney
    • NYS Government: Regional Manager of the Office of General Services
  • Is a Lease or Deed required?
    Yes, a Lease or Deed required. In lieu of a Deed, a recent property tax invoice will be accepted. For the leased locations, we need to see the signatures page and the pages that indicate the start date of your occupancy.
  • What if I do not know all of the information requested in the Service and Rate Classification section?
    This section of the application is important to determine the appropriate rate and classification based on your needs. If you anticipate a significant change in use from the previous customer or if you are unsure of the estimated monthly connected load, you should consult with an electrician or your architect/engineer and provide an electric load letter.
  • Under what circumstances are the different Service Initiation Charges applied and which box do I check?
    A $220.00 Service Initiation Charge will be applied to all non-residential accounts when we have to physically turn the service on when the new party applies for service. Check the box “Turn-on, New Set, Pole cut-on.”

    A $60.00 Service Initiation Charge will be applied to all non-residential accounts when only a changed name is required and the service is already on when the new party applies for service. Check the box “Change name.” 
    • Landlord Exception: The “Service Initiation Charge” will not be applied to an account, where the service is already on, that is transferred into the Landlord’s name for the time period between tenants. Check the box “Landlord Change Name-Vacant.” Please note that we reserve the right to apply this charge after three billing cycles or if there is significant usage on the account.

      Please note that the Service Initiation Charge will be applied to your first bill.

  • I am a religious, veterans or community residence organization. Do I qualify to be placed on the applicable residential rate?
    • In order to be a qualified Religious Organization, evidence of such must be submitted and any of the following may be required:
      • Copies of articles of incorporation as a religious corporation
      • Charters
      • Eligibility designations from the Internal Revenue Service
      • Documentation of the religious nature of the organization
      • A tax exempt certificate
      • A copy of the filing receipt from the County Clerk’s Office in the county for the location you are applying
    • In order to qualify for a Community Residence, evidence of such must be submitted if as defined in the Mental Hygiene Law operated by a not-for-profit corporation and are either (1) a “supervised living facility” (as defined in the Mental Hygiene Law) providing 24-hour per day on-site supervision and living accommodations for 14 or fewer residents; or (2) a “supportive living facility” providing supervised independent living without 24-hour per day on-site supervision.
      • Copy of Certificate of Incorporation under Not-For-Profit Corporation Law
      • License from NYS Office of Mental Hygiene
      • NYS Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities
    • In order to qualify for a Veterans Organization, evidence of such must be submitted, if the following apply: the premises is a post or hall owner or leased by a not-for-profit veterans organization.
      • Certification of their status as an organization exempt under IRC Section 501(c)(19)


Last Updated 10/02/2017 4:41 PM