PSEG Long Island Is Ready For the First Heat of the Season
(Uniondale, NY – June 28, 2019) — Summer is here and so is the heat. With temperatures approaching 90 degrees forecasted for today and Saturday, PSEG Long Island is prepared and customers should be as well.
“PSEG Long Island has been working nonstop over the past five years to upgrade the electric system to withstand extreme weather. We are prepared to meet the increased electrical demand that high temperatures bring,” said John O’Connell, vice president of transmission and distribution, PSEG Long Island. “We would also like to remind customers of the importance of personal safety in times of high heat.”
High temperatures can also lead to higher energy use, resulting in higher electric bills. To help save energy and money this summer, follow a few simple tips:
- Don’t cool an empty house. Set your thermostat higher when you are away, or use a smart thermostat to control the temperature in your home. Customers can receive an incentive on qualifying thermostats for enrolling in PSEG Long Island’s Smart Savers Thermostat program, which can be used to control usage during peak summer days. Visit https://www.psegliny.com/efficiency for more details.
- Seal holes and cracks around doors and windows with caulk or weather-stripping.
- Replace air filters monthly. Dirty filters make your air conditioner work harder.
- Operate appliances in the morning or evening when it is cooler outside.
- Set refrigerators and freezers to the most efficient temperatures.
- Replace old appliances with new energy efficient ENERGY STAR® appliances.
- Close blinds and draperies facing the sun to keep out the sun’s heat.
- Ceiling fans cool fast and cost less than air conditioning. (In hot weather, set your ceiling fan to spin quickly, counterclockwise to push air downward toward the floor.)
PSEG Long Island energy efficiency programs provide residential and commercial customers with the tools needed to incorporate energy efficient practices and technologies to help lower energy usage. For information on PSEG Long Island energy saving programs and tips visit https://www.psegliny.com/savemoney.
High temperatures and high electric demand can sometimes cause scattered heat-related outages. PSEG Long Island has additional personnel available and will address outages as quickly and safely as possible. Customers who experience an outage should call 1-800- 490-0075.
- To report and receive status updates on an outage Text OUT to PSEGLI (773454) or to report an outage online visit www.psegliny.com.
- To report an outage or downed wire call PSEG Long Island’s 24-hour Electric Service number: 800-490-0075.
- Follow PSEG Long Island on Facebook and Twitter to report an outage and for updates before, during and after the storm
- Visit PSEG Long Island’s outage map to view outage information across Long Island and the Rockaways at https://outagemap.psegliny.com/
PSEG Long Island operates the Long Island Power Authority’s transmission and distribution system under a long-term contract. PSEG Long Island is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Inc. (PSEG) (NYSE:PEG), a publicly traded diversified energy company.