PSEG Long Island is committed to delivering best-in-class system reliability and to being a good neighbor by coordinating with local government to support neighborhood improvements.
Over the next few months, PSEG Long Island must remove and/or replace existing distribution poles and wire, and install new distribution poles in order to accommodate sewer and water main work taking place as part of the NYC Department of Transportation’s Downtown Far Rockaway Urban Design and Street Reconstruction Project. More details about that project are available on the New York City Department of Transportation website
While this work is performed, traffic will be impacted along the route.
- A total of 12 wood poles ranging in height from 35 feet to 45 feet will removed and 12 new poles ranging in height from 40 feet to 45 feet will replace these poles. Overhead lines will also be removed and replaced as necessary at these locations. Pole replacements will be completed on the following streets: Central Avenue; Dix Avenue; the corner of Foam Place and Beach 18th Street; Hassock Street; the corner of Nameoke Street and Bayport Place, Horton Avenue; and Redfern Avenue.
- A total of 26 temporary new wood poles and the associated overhead lines, ranging in height from 35 feet to 45 feet, will be installed on Bayport Place, Beach 22nd Street, Birdsall Avenue, Foam Place, Hassock Street, Mott Avenue and Nameoke Avenue. The existing overhead distribution lines and overhead distribution conductor service connections at these locations do not provide the necessary clearance for the city’s construction equipment. Installation of new poles along Hassock Street, Mott Avenue and Foam Place will temporarily result in utility poles located on both sides of the street, as existing utility infrastructure is already present on the other side of these roadways. However, these poles will be removed upon completion of the city’s construction activities. Existing utility poles along these roadways range from 40 feet to 45 feet.
- Installation of two new permanent 45-foot wood riser poles along Hassock Street and Nameoke Avenue. These riser poles are being installed so that overhead distribution lines crossing the road can be removed, providing overhead clearance for the city’s construction equipment. Permanent underground distribution lines will be installed between these two riser pole locations. These riser poles will allow for the underground line to connect to the existing overhead distribution circuits. Existing utility poles along these roadways range from 40 feet to 45 feet.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will there be tree trimming?
Trees growing near power lines significantly increase the chance of power outages and pose safety risks. As we expand and improve our electric circuits, we will trim trees, where necessary, following our utility best practice model (ANSI A300 standards as well as the Best Management Practices Tree Pruning publication).
- Will there be any power outages?
We do not anticipate any power outages related to this project. In the event that a brief outage is required, all affected customers will be notified in advance.
- Does PSEG Long Island have permission to do this work?
PSEG Long Island is in the process of securing the appropriate local permits.
- Whom can I contact for more information?
Customers with questions about the project can contact PSEG Long Island Customer Service at 1-800-490-0025 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.
POSTED DATE: 6/28/19