Long Island Choice
Long Island Choice is our program that provides residential and commercial customers with the option to purchase their electric supply directly from energy service companies. If you do not contract with an Energy Service Company (ESCO), you'll continue to receive your electric supply directly from us.
- Purchase electric supply from energy service companies.
- Fosters electric retail competition as a means to increase consumer choice and potentially generate additional cost savings for Long Islanders.
- The program is entirely voluntary.
Who qualifies for Long Island Choice?
Just about all residential and non-residential customers who receive their full power requirements from us. If you have multiple meter locations, you may choose different ESCOs for different accounts, or you may use one ESCO.
Applying for LI Choice
- You choose an ESCO that has been licensed by us.
- You are accepted by the ESCO.
- Contract terms are provided to you by the ESCO.
- You enter a written, verbal or electronic contract with the ESCO and the ESCO enrolls you electronically.
- We confirm enrollment with a confirmation letter.
- You respond to letter only if the information is incorrect.
- Choose an ESCO
How will I be billed?
You will receive one bill from your ESCO for energy supply and another from us for delivery. Generally, your cost will depend on the electric rate you negotiate with the energy service provider and the amount of electricity you purchase. As a Long Island Choice customer, you can still participate in our Balanced Billing Program for the portion of your bill. More Frequently Asked Questions
What are our responsibilities?
We will continue to deliver electricity to you. If your ESCO fails to supply electricity or goes out of business, we will supply electricity without interruption. We will also restore power in the event of an outage or other emergency, ensure service reliability by maintaining the delivery system, read your meter, and provide billing on delivery charges and other essential customer services. More Frequently Asked Questions