PSEG Long Island Is Prepared for the Upcoming Weather
Heavy rain and winds expected on Monday
(Uniondale, NY – January 22, 2017) — PSEG Long Island is prepared for the heavy rain and strong winds expected to affect the service territory Monday. A full complement of personnel will be on hand beginning Sunday evening to deal with any outages caused by the forecasted high winds and potential flooding.
Contractors, including tree crews, will also be available to assist the utility’s own skilled workforce if necessary.
"We know how important having power is for our customers and we understand how frustrating it is to be in the dark," said John O’Connell, vice president of Transmission & Distribution at PSEG Long Island. "That's why we are proactively preparing for any potential outages by performing system checks on critical transmission & distribution equipment, ensuring the availability of critical materials, fuel and other supplies and getting our crews out and ready to respond as quickly and safely as possible.”
Be prepared and stay in touch with PSEG Long Island:
- Save PSEG Long Island’s 24-hour Electric Service number: 1-800-490-0075
- Downed wires should always be considered “live”. Do not approach or drive over a downed line and do not touch anything it might be in contact with. If a wire falls on or near your car, stay inside the car, call 911, and do not get out until PSEG Long Island deenergizes the line. If you MUST get out of the vehicle because it is on fire, jump as far as possible away from the vehicle, with both feet landing on the ground at the same time, and hop or shuffle away.
- Familiarize yourself with PSEG Long Island’s mobile-friendly website, online Outage Center and Outage Map at www.psegliny.com/stormcenter - for the most up-to-date information customers might need when the storm hits
- Sign up now for MyAlerts, PSEG Long Island’s text message service to report a power outage by text and receive status updates by text and/or email.
- Since this requires an account number for a one-time registration, it’s best to do it beforehand. To register, text REG to PSEGLI (773454) or visit the My Account section of the website www.psegliny.com/account. Once registered, to report an outage, simply text OUT to PSEGLI (773454)
- Like PSEG Long Island on Facebook (www.facebook.com/psegli) and follow us on Twitter (@PSEGLI) for updates before, during and after the storm. Remember, though, outages CANNOT be reported through social media
- Charge all mobile phones, tablets and other handheld devices in advance of the storm
- Make sure everyone in the family is prepared and knows what to do if there is an emergency Visit www.psegliny.com/page.cfm/Sesame to learn about the PSEG and Sesame Street App “Let’s Get Ready: Planning Together for Emergencies”
- Watch PSEG Long Island’s YouTube videos at www.youtube.com/psegli for tips on how to prepare your family and how power is restored after a storm.
PSEG Long Island operates the Long Island Power Authority’s transmission and distribution system under a 12-year contract. PSEG Long Island is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Incorporated (NYSE:PEG), a publicly traded diversified energy company with annual revenues of approximately $10.4 billion.