PSEG Long Island Offers Tips to Make the Most of Winter Energy Dollars
Uniondale, N.Y., December 15, 2016 —With frigid weather on the way, PSEG Long Island would like to remind customers to save energy dollars by implementing a few easy to follow recommendations.
The following inexpensive energy-efficient measures can significantly reduce winter energy bills and, at the same time, improve the environment.
Energy saving tips:
- Close fireplace dampers when not in use.
- Close and latch windows.
- Move furniture and drapes away from heating registers, radiators, and baseboard element covers. Open any register or baseboard dampers.
- Remove or cover window air conditioners to reduce drafts.
- During the day, let sunlight in by opening the curtains on windows facing the sun to warm the room and reduce heating costs. At night, keep drapes and curtains closed to keep the warmth inside.
- Use weather stripping or caulk to seal up cracks and prevent drafts in windows and doorframes. Beneath doors, install draft guards available at hardware stores.
- Keep your garage door closed if the garage is attached to the house.
- Raising the humidity in the home will produce personal comfort at a lower thermostat setting and save money.
- Insulate heating hot air ducts and hot water pipes that provide heat to the rooms in your home.
- Keeping your heating thermostat at the lowest temperature comfortable for you will save on heating costs.
Replacing old light bulbs with energy efficient bulbs and fixtures is one of the easiest ways to save energy and money. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, lighting accounts for 15 percent of home electric use. Installing LED bulbs will help reduce energy usage by 75 percent. An LED light will last 25 times as long as incandescent bulbs, which means more savings in the long term.
PSEG Long Island offers energy efficiency programs and rebates to help customers become more energy efficient and lower bills. Visit PSEG Long Island’s online Energy Analyzer at https://psegli.energysavvy.com/ to calculate the energy efficiency of your home and find out how to save energy and money.
For more information on energy saving tips and PSEG Long Island’s energy efficiency programs, please visit https://www.psegliny.com/savemoney.
PSEG Long Island operates the Long Island Power Authority’s transmission and distribution system under a 12-year contract. PSEG Long Island is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Incorporated (NYSE:PEG), a publicly traded diversified energy company with annual revenues of approximately $10.4 billion.