PSEG Long Island Reminds Customers to Enjoy Summer Safely
(UNIONDALE, N.Y. — Aug. 2, 2022) Summer is a time when people love to be outside playing, relaxing or even making improvements to their homes. PSEG Long Island reminds customers to keep safety at the forefront as they use electricity to make the most of the season.
“When the weather is warm and the days are long, most of us love to be outside, and many of use utilize electricity to transform our outdoor spaces to meet the moment,” said Michael Sullivan, PSEG Long Island’s vice president of Transmission and Distribution. “Whether you are using electric hedge trimmers, hooking up a sound system for a garden party, or even inflating a bounce house or kids’ swimming pool, it’s important to follow best practices to ensure everyone stays safe.”
PSEG Long Island recommends customers:
- Check that extension cords are correctly rated for the amount of electricity they are to carry and are Underwriter Laboratory (UL) approved.
- Check all electric cords for visible damage. Cracked or frayed cords can be dangerous.
- Never use power equipment on wet hedges, grass, shrubs, or in any areas that are damp.
- Make sure their work and garden power tools are protected with three-pronged grounding plugs, unless they are double insulated.
- Contact their town or village hall to confirm that their pool plans meet all local zoning and safety requirements.
- Check that no electric devices are so close to the swimming pool that they could accidentally fall into the water.
- Ensure that all outdoor outlets have waterproof covers. Outlets that have moisture in them may create a shock hazard.
- Keep all ladders far away from electric lines.
To help customers make the most of their summer without breaking the bank, PSEG Long Island offers rebates on smart thermostats, heat pump pool heaters, lawn equipment and more. To learn more, visit https://www.psegliny.com/saveenergyandmoney/energystarrebates.
PSEG Long Island operates the Long Island Power Authority’s transmission and distribution system under a long-term contract. PSEG Long Island is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Inc. (PSEG) (NYSE:PEG), a publicly traded diversified energy company.