PSEG Long Island will be upgrading the electric distribution infrastructure to accommodate the growing demand for electricity in these communities. A new underground line, along with upgraded overhead primary wires, poles and pole top switches will help ensure that we can provide safe and reliable electric service to businesses and residents in the area.
Crews working on the infrastructure will:
- Inspect the system to ensure compliance with the most current standards
- Upgrade equipment, where necessary, to maintain or improve reliability
- Inspect poles and replace those that do not meet our standards with poles of similar height
- Install switching equipment at a number of locations
- Trench and install underground cable on Rockaway Beach Boulevard
Our crews will dig a trench and install an underground cable on Rockaway Beach Boulevard from just west of Beach 69th Street to just east of Beach 67th Street.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the timeline for the project?
Crews will begin work in October 2018.
- What are the work hours?
Crews are expected to work Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Will there be tree trimming?
Trees growing near power lines significantly increase the chance of power outages and pose safety risks. As we expand and improve our electric circuits, we will trim trees, where necessary, following our utility best practice model (ANSI A300 standards as well as the Best Management Practices Tree Pruning publication): 8 feet to each side; 12 feet above; and 10 feet below the line.
- Will there be any power outages?
PSEG Long Island does not anticipate any power outages related to this project. In the event that a brief outage is required, all affected customers will be notified in advance of any power outage.
- Will there be any traffic interruptions?
There may be traffic and parking disruptions while the work is performed along the project route. To ensure traffic moves safely, PSEG Long Island will provide cones, flagmen and signage at the work sites, as needed. Local officials will be notified in advance regarding any traffic concerns.
- Do you have permission to do this work?
PSEG Long Island is in the process of securing the proper local permits.
- Whom can I contact for more information?
Customers with questions about the project can contact PSEG Long Island Customer Service at 1-800-490-0025 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.
As always, customer and employee safety is our primary concern. Please be cautious when travelling near our construction work zones.
Posted date: October 23, 2018